Thursday, March 25, 2004

I drive Barlow Trail to and from work every day. Now that spring is here, I have come to the conclusion that, just as Calgary drivers get stupid over the summer and have meltdowns with the first snowfall of the season, so too do gophers get stupider over the winter. On my way to and from work, I spot at least a dozen new bloody splats on the road. It is a rather macabre way to pass the time in the car.

I have no idea how long gophers live, but surely not all of the instantly departed were born over the winter, just as not everyone who slides into the ditch or has a fender bender at the first hint of ice on the roads is a new driver. And even if the gophers are stupider coming out of hibernation, surely they would figure out that after the first hundred or so of their colony met a swift and terrible end, that they should stay away from the road! But no. The little cannibals are still tempting fate.

In other news, fencing went better today. I hold out hope for the weekend.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008